Monday, June 12, 2006

Synthetically Yours,

Life is funny sometimes...often...almost always. We spend our lives being sold, at least here in the states and rapidly so in India and China. We are told how we need all these things that are foreign to our nature and our bodies. Plastic surgery is the most obvious example I can think of. Others would include steroids and diet pills and crazy anti-aging techniques (as if it isn't perfectly natural to age!)

Recently, I decided to start taking birth control. It is supposed to help with things like cramps, which I have struggled with forever, figuratively speaking. Well, to be quite blunt, these little synthetic hormones have wreaked absolute havoc on my body and soul. Heart flutters, anxiety attacks, nausea, mood swings, etc, have been the norm for me the past month and a half. And for what? What is the price I paid for being sold? We are always called to count the cost.

This brought to mind questions of reality. I discovered there is nothing in the world more real than a caring, merciful heart. I found that in my mother, who has spent hours talking me through my problems and finally convincing me that the birth control wasn't worth the price I was paying. That is real. Of course, parental love knows no limits. Even so, her gracious and loving spirit was a gift from Heaven when I most needed it; she has been there for me when no one else would or could be. I used to say, when I was young, that I sat in Heaven and picked her out to be my mom. There is absolute truth in that childhood statement.

1 comment:

Johan Jordaan said...

Birthcontrol had the same effect on my wife. we decided not to put her through that and it was the best decision.