Monday, April 25, 2005

What men must understand

Recently, one of my friends told me about a personal struggle that I understand all too well; she was absolutely taken with someone who couldn't even see her. She clings to the hope that one day he will, not because she actually desires him, but because he symbolizes her need to be loved. She is experiencing a loneliness unique to women.

What men can never understand is the spiritual struggle women go through almost daily. Yes, there is some degree of difference between men and women. The measure isn't really in the performance of work, education, or sports. The real measure of that degree is in our spiritual conversations with other people and most importantly, God.

"...Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you." (genesis 3:16). I think that must be a hard line for most women to read. But the key to understanding is that, like every other part of the fall, our lot has also been redeemed. For, though as wives we are suppose to submit to our husbands, the apostle Paul said: "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy..." (Eph 5:22). In Ephesians 5:21, we are all called to submit to one another; it is an act of love, not of domination.

This of course doesn't mean that the pain my friend feels will vanish. Just because God commanded men to honor women doesn't mean they will. However, God loved us first; "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart;" (Jer 1:5). In the end, we are sisters in Christ and daughters of God. He loves us and we can call Him our father. No matter the pain we feel in dating or, unfortunately, even in marriage, God is there for us regardless - no matter what. We pray to find Godly men who will love us as we should be loved, but even if we don't, God's love is greater than we could ever find here anyway.

There is a song by ZOEgirl called "Scream" that exemplifies this discussion beautifully.

"Does anybody know how I feel? Sometimes I'm numb, sometimes I'm overcome; Does anybody care what's going on? Do I have to wear my scars like a badge on my arm, For you to see me, I need release; Do I have to scream for you to hear me? Do I have to bleed for you to see me? 'Cause I grieve, you're not listening to me. Do I need to scream?"
...........

"I've been marked, set apart; But I'm cut so deep and afraid of the dark; One drop of blood from the hole in Your hand, is enough to heal me and make me stand.

'Cause I'm clean, He is listening to me

I don't have to scream for Him to hear me; Don't have to bleed for Him to see me; 'Cause I'm clean, He is listening to me;"

Exposition will come "post haste"; reference is "Eve's Revenge" by Lillian Calles Barger and the essay "This is my body" posted at: http://www.damarisproject.org/content/Features.asp?Action=Detail&Id=42

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am trying very hard and learning everyday more about who I am to be. I am trying to be a man of God. I am thankful for your thoughts. Sometimes guys don't understand what is going on inside a woman. I also want ot say that woman are not the only ones who desire marriage. I strongly desire a woman to be part of my life. Someone to walk through life with me and I with her. Someone to love and to shar e my thoughts with. Someone to protect and provide for.