Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Tell it like it is...

"The [Massachusetts] state pharmacy board ordered Wal-Mart on Tuesday to stock emergency contraception pills at its stores in Massachusetts.

"Massachusetts becomes second state to require the world's largest retailer to carry the morning-after pill.

A Wal-Mart spokesman said... "Clearly women's health is a high priority for Wal-Mart," spokesman Dan Fogleman said. "We are actively thinking through the issue."

My Personal Thoughts: Since when has the morning after pill or any of its successors had much to do with women's health? A woman is not diseased if she is pregnant, though many feminists seem to think so. I understand, though I do not agree with, the argument about abortions for women who are raped or who might die during the birth process. However, if a woman has been raped or is facing pregnancy complications, she should be in a hospital getting proper medical attention, not in Wal-Mart buying drugs. Therefore, the only woman likely, I would think, to be the intended consumer of such a product would be the woman who thinks she might have messed up with her birth control and just wants to make sure...

But then again, maybe this is a health issue...a mental health issue. Women need to stop seeing their bodies as objects to use for their own satisfaction. Women who feel entitled to have sex out of wedlock and who feel justified in using various contraception methods and abortion if necessary to maintain some plastic notion of freedom...these women are simply insane.

Set aside the notion that there is some form of freedom in wordly views. Women are not free when they can kill their babies and have sex with men who are neither in love with nor committed to them. Freedom can only be found when you stop following the dictates of a blind society and start following the truth that is written in your heart.

6 comments:

Johan Jordaan said...

You are a very outspoken lady indeed.

Elizabeth said...

Most lawyers are! The important thing is to be outspoken for the right causes. For me, this is one of those.

Anonymous said...

You are not only bold but you are also cheeky.

Johan Jordaan said...

I don't think you're cheeky

Elizabeth said...

LoL, the cheeky comment was from a good friend of mine in India, who loves to goof around.

As an aside: some people asked, and I just want to clarify, I'm not against contraception. I'm fine with contraception, and I will use it one day myself when I'm married. I understand completely why women use it who are not married, but for me the problem there is, they are not married.

Anonymous said...

Liz, I agree with most of what you said with regards to the moral stuff BUT I do think there are health risks involved here and I think Wal-Mart carrying this drug is not such a bad idea. There are some teenagers and/or women who are too afraid to seek medical attention after a rape. Maybe they do not think anyone will believe them (i.e., date rape), maybe they have just been raped by a family member, who knows.... In my opinion, I think the accessibility of these drugs - due to the kinds of situations we can only dream of - outweighs the potential abuse of them by irresponsible teens or women. Teens who have sex (even safe sex - remember condoms are only 80-something percent effective) find themselves pregnant all the time, and many of them die because they do not seek medical attention and end up with complications from toxemia or other pregnancy-related conditions. Hence, there is a serious health issue, especially with teenage girls who are either in denial or too afraid. Let’s say I’m a naive young 13-year old. I get into a situation where I end up having sex. We use a condom but I know it is not 100% foolproof. I did not expect to have sex so soon, but it just happened. Besides, I am too afraid at 13 to ask my parents about putting me on birth control. So, would I go get one of these pills, or wait a few weeks to see if I am pregnant? And if I am pregnant, I have to tell the guy I was with, my parents, and I have to decide whether or not to have an abortion (and at this point the baby is even more developed than it was at day one). See what I mean? Teens are not as rational as adults are with these kinds of situations, and most do not know about the health risks of pregnancy. We unfortunately cannot change what others will do outside of marriage, and I think it is unrealistic if we think there will ever be a time again where most women save their virginity until marriage. I do not think that having this pill available in stores like Wal-Mart will increase women’s sexual behavior or encourage it. Sure, there will be those who abuse the drug, but in my opinion there are many women who would benefit from its easier accessibility. If they are going to be stupid, they are going to be stupid! And isn’t it better to take this pill to do away with a potential unwanted pregnancy than to later find out you are pregnant and then have to go through an abortion? One other point - there is no way to know if the woman is actually pregnant when she takes this pill, so how is that so different from preventing conception through birth control, or having an abortion? It is still a woman’s right to choose whether or not she becomes pregnant or stays pregnant (at least until viability). She should have the option of a morning-after pill as opposed to a potential abortion and this pill should be available to her without too many obstacles (thank you Justice O'Connor)… and if that means having it in Wal-Mart I do not see how that is a problem.