Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Romance

Relationships are quirky things, especially romantic relationships. Probably the biggest problem in my relatively limited life experience is that romantic relationships die without, you guessed it, romance. That is to say, courtship must involve romance and that romance must continue into marriage. This has nothing to do with love. Love is based on more than feelings. But if you have two couples, each married 50 years, the happier couple will be the one that has kept romance alive. Both couples can love one another, but it is just different with romance.

I came across an article on askmen.com about romancing women. Some of the suggestions were rather tacky I though since the end result was sex. While I understand that can be a very strong driving force, men, let me tell you this: if you want to make love to your wife, make the end result of your gesture her happiness, and the rest will follow...I promise.

The best suggestions I saw were:
1. Scavenger hunt
2. Tell her she is beautiful unexpectedly (via email, a phone call, a written note)
3. Actually write her a note, leaving it in her purse, on her car, or some other place she will find it. (How sweet!)
4. Cook her favorite meal
5. Take her on an "offical" date (for couples together after a long time)
6. Buy her a random, token present...something small just to show you were thinking about her.
7. Dance with her (fantastic idea!)
8. Randomly buy her flowers

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I think you are beautiful.

Love B

Johan Jordaan said...

Romance is is great, but a relationship needs to be able to survive romanticly dry seasons, like when you have babies. In my opinion that is only possible if your spouse is also your best friend.

Elizabeth said...

Well I agree completely Johan. And being best friends is one of the most romantic things about marriage. You never have more romance than when your partner is your best friend, because filling that role can be so hard but so rewarding. Being supportive, cheering them up, etc. All of that is included, and those are the most romantic things about loving someone, in my opinion.