Friday, June 30, 2006

Fireflies and Starlight

For Brandon

Waiting again for it to be over,
I knew it wouldn't last.
They never did.

I could hear it down the hall,
In my room, in my head.
I learned well how to pick up the pieces.

Like fireflies at twilight,
Burning bright, hot and true.
Then fading as quickly as they came.

I learned to leave before they went out,
It was safer that way.
I wouldn't have to see them die.

But fireflies are distracting,
To little girls captivated by their surroundings.
They don't learn to look up, to the stars above.

You came saying you wouldn't leave,
But I wanted to run.
I didn't want to have to pick up your pieces too.

With playful bouts of love,
You brought joy to a little girl,
Who thought it was only for fairy tales.

And now she is learning to look up,
To tell the difference between them and you,
Between fireflies and starlight.

No comments: