Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Football and What it means to be in America

So, the Beckhams have arrived. I honestly didn't know it until I saw some headlines about the critic uproar against Posh's series-turned-one-hour-special last night. Apparently, the show wasn't very good. I will have to catch the rerun on Bravo this Thursday.

I pitty poor Posh (and by association, Becks). I don't think she read her history very well at all. Setting aside sell-outs like Madonna, we Americans like it our own way. Her husband probably won't be the soaring star I guess he is in other countries. (Bend it like who?) And if Vicki wants to be famous in her own right, she will have to do something else besides be pretty and thin. The BBC, quoting the LA Times, ran this:

Patt Morrison of the Los Angeles Times said that people in the United States had been "underwhelmed" by Beckham.

"If you're looking for a bad driver, we have Lindsay Lohan, who does it better," she told BBC One's Breakfast.

"If you're looking for rich, we've got Paris Hilton, and if you're looking for thin blondes, if you fire a cannon in Beverly Hills, you hit 100 of them.

"It's a very competitive market, even for a Beckham."

Though we find these girls ridiculous, at least they are our own. Much like kids I guess. It is much easier to tolerate the mustard on the new white carpet when it is your own kid that did it.

No comments: