Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Going Global

...the most important of these is love.

The approach most often employed when valuing an asset is its fair market value. It seems everything has a fair market value too, property, labor, education, even life.

Though I've never seen a FMV for grace and sympathy, I expect that one day there will be, and it will be drastically underrated. Nevertheless, I've found that loving thy neighbor, actually employing some grace and sympathy in how we treat others is like the Hope Diamond...rare and priceless.

Reading my Immigration Law textbook today, I was thinking about how my attitude towards immigrants has been shaped, and how it will have to evolve over the next several years. Though I do not now and most likely will never advocate a policy of "open borders", I think perhaps a little love, grace, and sympathy could be employed when dealing with immigrants. There is a lot of focus placed on what an illegal immigrant is doing (namely, "invading" a country as some would term it), but there is very little attention placed on why a person seeks shelter in a country illegally. Of course there are those with malicious intentions, but what about those people who, albeit self-seeking, have relatively innocent intentions, such as earning a living to support a family?

Without engaging in a cost-benefit analysis, and assuming a benefit by cooperation versus isolation, I think laws based on policies that support international cooperation versus isolation are more prudent in the long-run. Isolation, as all hermits know, begets isolation. It is not good for man to be alone....and it would appear the same rule goes for nations.

2 comments:

Johan Jordaan said...

As a citizen of a 1st world country I doubt you even begin to fully understand the truth of what you are saying here. My one big dream for my family is to be able to move out of South Africa. I’m so in love with the idea of not having to fear for my life and the lives of my children and wife every time I get home in the evening. Not having to get up three times at night to make sure that either my wife or I forgot to switch on the alarm after we last checked on the children. Apart from safety there is also the unbelievable threat that my future and that of my children will be focused around paying for the upbringing of 2-5 million AIDS orphans just because our heath minister chose to spend today’s tax money on a Merc S500 rather than buy ARV’s for the nation’s HIV positive.
And change is not on the horizon because the government is much more concerned with driving nice cars and flying first class to other nations where they have no official business to attend etc, than educating the masses. They know to well that no educated nation would elect them again.

Johan Jordaan said...

Displaying the government’s tragic disregard for our country’s constitution, it refused to observe a court order which was issued. The court ordered (as in our high court, the one just below the constitutional court) the government to provide ARV’s to HIV positive inmates in a prison in Kwazulu Natal. This followed a previous court order which was then appealed in the High Court. Shortly after the court ordered the government to provide ARV’s the Premier (highest ranking government officer of the province) said in a statement that he ordered the health department to not act on the court order.