Saturday, March 11, 2006

A Whole New World

I will attempt to keep this post from turning into a tirade against the fashion world.

Anyone who knows me is aware that I rarely follow entertainment or fashion news. Quite frankly, I find I have better things to do than read gossip about people I don't know and worry about whether the color of my t-shirt or my pants length is "in". I was completely and blissfully unaware that shoes have a season. I really had no clue!

To my chagrine, entering the professional world means paying some attention to the fashion world. My goal will of course be to get classic pieces. Why do I want something sitting in my closet that I am not "allowed" to wear? This "what not to wear" idea goes to the large social schematic of our society. Raised on consumerism, we focus on false and empty materialistic ideas. Nonetheless, I will have to play the game to some extent; I can no longer be the fashion bench warmer I naturally am. However, I will maintain some integrity. I will not buy the latest trend just because. If it is classic enough to last and comfortable, then I will purchase it.

A note on judgment: you know, a person's worth is certainly not determined by the clothes they wear. I've found many people judge others depending on whether those people are fashion conscious. If we form any opinion of a person, let it be based on their spirit...their spirit for giving, their capacity for loyalty, their strong faith. My handbag doesn't tell you a darn thing about who I am...only that I needed a purse that was big enough for all my stuff, black to match everything, and priced so that I could afford it, while it would last.

1 comment:

Johan Jordaan said...

I'm not into fashion either. I wear jeans basicly every day of my life and spend no more than $50 on a pair of shoes for every day use, and it better last a year or two. In total I spend less than $100 on shoes in the last 3 years.