Sunday, March 19, 2006

Thoughts on Blogging

The New York Daily News published an article on potential employers and the growing prevalence of Google as an interview tool. Likewise, blogs are coming up. As would be expect, what people thought may be private or only read by their friends is, of course, available to anyone to read...including those potential employers.

Well...I'm not really sure what to say. As a non-anonymous blogger myself, I'm sure it wouldn't be very difficult for a law office I was applying at to see my blog. Would I be judged based on what I've written here? Would it be favorable or not?

For fear that I would not be judged on my merits (I'm in the top of my class and a VERY hard worker), I'm actually thinking of taking my profile down to make this a bit more anonymous. If anyone who comes by here has any thoughts, please let me know via e-mail or comments.

4 comments:

Johan Jordaan said...

Do you really want to work for someone that judges you based on your blog.

Anonymous said...

Good point! I agree with Johan.

Anonymous said...

Liz, the only reason they wouldn't hire you is because you are a woman or a Christian. They will notice the first one immediately. And you wouldn't want to work there if it was the second.

Johan Jordaan said...

Now if you were living in South Africa being a woman would really help a lot in terms of getting employed. We actually have laws encouraging, actually forcing, companies to discriminate against men, especially white ones.