Tuesday, September 20, 2005

In the Interlude

In his daily email, my pastor wrote the following:
"Most people don’t like to wait—we are very impatient. When I drive up to an intersection and see a green light turn yellow, what do I do? I punch the gas pedal and try to make it through the light because I don’t like to wait. But don’t laugh at me, because I know that’s what most of you do too....We tend to think that the yellow light means “hurry up and get through the intersection” when in fact it means “slow down, there could be danger ahead.” The problem is…we’re always in a hurry when God isn’t....God doesn't speak to you in a booming voice while you're speedily hurrying through life. You can hear the still, small voice of the holy spirit when you take some time to stop, rest, and actually listen."

Waiting comes down to issues of value - we are more willing to wait for things on which we place value. So when we punch the pedal through the light, we are placing value on ourselves and our own plans rather than humbling ourselves enough to let other people go first.

In the greater scheme, we should place value on God's plan for our lives by lifting the lead foot and getting down on our knees. The hard thing about trusting God is that He isn't bound by time, and the moments between submission to His will and knowing where He is taking you can seem very long. The key is to enjoy that interlude...since that is as much a part of His plan as anything else.

This post is dedicated to one of my very good friends, for whom I know waiting is the hardest part in her life right now.