Monday, July 18, 2005

Othering

I was recently informed by a guy that I am rather intimidating due to the intellectual level upon which I engage in conversation. After my initial shock, and after I had a chance to reflect, I can understand what he meant. However, I think the intimidation had less to do with my intellect and more to do with my sex. Then again, that is just my opinion.

Several times in my life, I've experienced "othering" moments in which I'm kind of an outcast. I'm not a normal girl since I enjoy reading novels to magazine flipping; book stores over clothing stores; wi-fi blogs over E online. I think that intimidates men, who prefer their women (as a general rule) "dumber" than them. That isn't to say the average woman is stupid. Quite the contrary...I just think they don't show how smart they really are. My other status is due to the fact that I don't hide my intellectual curiosities. Still, I don't think women should have to do this. I think men need to get over it.

I find it incredibly sweet when guys want to protect women and provide for them. But what seems to go along with that is that women must need to be protected and provided for; they can't protect or provide for themselves, or that goes too far into the man's territory. Men seem to want to dominate certain areas of life, including smarts, money, and occupation. I'm not trying to sound like a feminist...I love chivalry as much as the next southern girl. I just wish guys would add a dimension to chivalry - be able to hold a conversation and not back-off when I go into an area with which you are not familiar. Chivalry should include sticking your pride in your back pocket. I find curiosity and a love of learning far more attractive than arrogance and stupidity.

No comments: